Hamilton College New School Uniform
From September year 7 , 8 and 9 will be required to wear the new school uniform, we are keen to make purchasing the uniform as easy as possible. Blazers and Ties can be purchased in the following ways:
- 15th May: Year 8 parents evening. 6.30-8pm (credit/debit cards accepted)
- Uniform shop is open between 2.30-6.30pm on Monday 30th June, Wednesday 2nd July and Friday 4th July, in the Community Hall.
- On Teacher Day, 27th August, 2.30pm-6.30pm
- Online at www.academyschooluniforms.co.uk
- Telephone Academy School Uniforms on 0800 345 7353
All other items of uniform can be purchased from local retailers.
Hamilton in the Leicester Mercury
2013 Exam Results
We are exceptionally proud to report that the college has achieved record results this year with 50% of pupils achieving 5A*- C including English and Maths – this is the best ever result in the history of the college.
In addition, Maths also achieved their best ever results with 60% of pupils gaining A* - C and English achieved their second highest results at 54%. Similarly, our figure for pupils achieving 2 Sciences was 61% and, again, was a record result.
This year, as a result of the dedication of our young people and all of those associated with the college we have exceeded all of our targets including those laid down by the government for all schools by a massive 10% - actually, our results today already meet the target expected by officials next year!
We would like to extend huge congratulations and thank our students, their parents and our staff for their hard work and dedication – we are hugely proud of your achievement.
Hamilton is situated on the Eastern outskirts of the city of Leicester. It is an 11-16 mixed Community College catering for approximately for 1000 pupils from a variety of cultures.
Our school vision is that "Every Pupil Achieves Their Very Best and Feels Secure". This is a vision that I feel passionate about and one that I know all teaching and associate staff share.
Why not also follow us on Twitter @HamiltonCC1 for regular updates to your chosen device.
Get our Easter 2014 Newsletter here!
Principal’s Blog: Fortnight Focus 10th - 21st March 2014
As always, it's been an incredibly busy period at Hamilton again. I'm often overwhelmed by the amount of additional support and memorable experiences that the staff here provide... click here to continue reading
Key findings from our Ofsted, April 2013
We were delighted with our recent Ofsted Inspection which judged the college as Good in all areas.
The Lead Inspector commented:
‘Hamilton is a Good school with a great future’
Key Headlines from the Ofsted Report:
- All pupils make good progress, more than expected achieve 5A*C or better including English and Maths
- Disabled pupils, pupils with special educational needs and new arrivals all make good or very good progress
Comments on Teaching & Learning
- The majority of teaching is Good or Outstanding
- Teachers have high expectations of their pupils, who show a willingness to learn and determination to do well
Comments on the atmosphere around the college
- The school is exceptionally caring and supportive. It is a harmonious and happy place for both pupils and staff
- Pupils show good behaviour in lessons and around the school
- Parents are overwhelmingly supportive of the school and are full of praise for the efforts that it makes to educate and care for their children
Remarkable Student Progress.
A 'remarkable journey' - OFSTED 2010
2013 EXAM RESULTS – ‘What an Achievement!’
|5 A*-C English & Maths||19%||23%||31%||40%||34%||49%||43%||50%|
- Best Ever 5A*-C including English and Maths, 50%
- Best Ever Maths results, 60%
- 2 Sciences Best Ever, 61%
- Second Best English results, 54%
- Best Ever Match between English and Maths *
- High number of pupils (68%) making their ‘5’
We exceeded all targets for 5A*-C including English and Maths. 50% exceeded FFT D of 38%, LA Target of 45% and National Floor Standard for all schools of 40% and matched the target for next year which is 50%
Recent praise for Pupil Achievement at Hamilton
In 2010, the DfE named Hamilton in the top 100 most improved schools in England. We also gained a prestigious award from The Specialist Schools Trust for the school with the most improved achievement over a 3 year period.
Our Curriculum is always changing to adapt to the needs of our pupils; we strive to provide a Personalised Curriculum for all. In 2013, Ofsted described the curriculum as ‘tailored to the needs of the students and highly individualised where appropriate’
At KS3 we have introduced four broad bands:
- Flight, for our more able pupils where there is a greater emphasis on independent study and extension work to enable pupils to achieve the very highest levels, Level 6 and above. To ensure that pupils get off to a flying start and achieve their very best possible grades many faculty areas now start the GCSE content at the beginning or part way through Y9.
- Booster, where the aim is to move pupils from Level 4 to 5 quickly through faculty level interventions and a structured curriculum.
- Step-Up, where the focus is for pupils to move up two levels in English from Level 3 to 5. For these pupils aspects of Literacy are taught in common across many curriculum areas.
- Nurture, for students with Special Educational Needs, where pupils are given intensive support with Literacy and Numeracy as well as social and emotional support.
At KS4, many of our Gifted & Talented pupils, in addition to studying standard GCSEs, study for the English Baccalaureate. Most pupils also study English Literature. In addition, we offer the three separate Sciences; Biology, Chemistry and Physics and many pupils also study Law and Citizenship GCSE.
In addition to studying the Core subjects, the majority of pupils can opt from a selection of GCSEs including French, History, Geography, ICT, Performing Arts, Art, Sports Studies and Business. We also offer a range of Design options such as Textiles, Food, Resistant Materials and Graphics. Short Course RE is also available for our pupils. A range of vocational qualifications are available including Land Based Studies, Hospitality & Catering and Health & Social Care which have proved to be very popular. Pupils with an additional language are often encouraged to sit their home language at GCSE. (For full details of courses available, please contact the College).
Lots of Memorable Experiences – Ofsted 2013
‘The college has done a great deal to make pupils experiences of school more memorable, such as:’
- Project Africa; a Skype concert in conjunction with two schools in South Africa was a moving experience for pupils, staff and parents
- Frequent visits to cultural venues such as the Globe Theatre, London
- Citizenship and Democracy activities, for example visits to the Houses of Parliament and the European Parliament in Brussels
Our exciting New Build, completion September 2014
Our new £16.5 million build is progressing well. It is a superb design featuring a high end ICT specification and excellent state-of-the-art teaching facilities. The pupils, staff and community are really excited and are proud of all the opportunities that it will provide. The build is on our present site and we hope to move in at the beginning of the Autumn Term 2014. The total build cost is £21 million as we will share the site with Netherhall Special School.
Flythrough of design for the new build
Timelapse of the new build as it progresses
Safeguarding Children and Young People
Hamilton Community College has a commitment to safeguard and promote the welfare of young people. We have robust processes and procedures and continuously promote a positive culture of safeguarding amongst our workforce.
OFSTED 2013 stated: ‘there is a robust system for checking on and recording students’ safety and welfare’
With our new build and very positive comments from our recent Ofsted visit, we look forward to the future with great confidence.
John Morris B.Ed Hons, MA, NPQH